BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 28, 2011

"Mom, this is Dr. K..."

November 13, 2011
So I told my mom and step-sister at the MIA conference yesterday. It was quite hilarious how it all went down. Dr. K and I had briefly worked it out how I would tell her. This is how it went down...

I was in the hallway picking Dr. Miyagi's brain about my thyroid levels & giving him suggestions for research papers but telling him that he'd have to dumb it down for me to understand when Dr. K arrived. I barely got to tell her hello when I saw my mom round the corner to head to the bathroom and I whispered, "She's coming, are you ready?" Dr. K nodded.

Let me break here. I tried to think of a special way to tell both my parents and I wanted to include Dr. K because I figured she never got to be included for this sort of thing. At the same time, knowing I was at an infertility conference, I didn't want it to be a big deal and to upset people's feelings so I was trying to figure out a way to get my mom and Dr. K away from the crowd. So this all just kind of worked out. Okay, back to the story!

My mom walks up and I introduce her to Dr. Miyagi and John from Apothecary and then I turned to Dr. K and said, "And this is Dr. K. She did my retrieval and transfer and now I'm pregnant." My mom had been smiling the whole time and just kept smiling as I said that. It took about 5 seconds and then her face went blank. She looked at me and said, "What? You're pregnant!" I nodded and she started crying and repeating, "You didn't tell me!" Uh...duh, that's kind of what I'm doing right now. I then told her that we put on the whole conference just for her so I could tell her.

So picture this, my mom sobbing, hugging me then Dr. K, kissing me then KISSING DR. K! Yes, you read that right...my mother kissed my RE!?! (Luckily, just on the cheek but more than once!) I said, "Mother! Did you just KISS HER?" They all laughed and Dr. K was crying right along with my mom. Finally, I told my mom, "Go to the bathroom before you pee yourself!" LOL! It was hilarious! Then my step-sis came down and we did the same thing. Luckily, there was no kissing this time around.

When Dr. K left, I thanked her again and apologized saying, "I hope my mother didn't traumatize you by kissing you!" She laughed and said it was the best kiss she'd received in a long time. Oye! My family is so CRAZY!!!

Update: She emailed me the Monday after the conference and asked that I stay in touch with her and send pictures, announcements, etc...She's so sweet-I LOVE HER!

6 comments:

Cherbear said...

I am laughing sooo hard!!! Your mom kissed her...sooo funny!! I'm so glad you told them and it worked out so good. :)

Emily @ablanket2keep said...

That was cute! LOL!

Sara-Lynn said...

That is so much fun!!! Glad you could find fun in telling everyone. I worry that when it's my turn I won't even enjoy the excitement about being pregnant. Thanks for sharing the hope!

Angie said...

This post and the post where you told your dad made me tear up. What an awesome thing to be able to tell your family, and what a priceless awesome memory that you all will share together. Congrats again, I can't tell you how happy I am for you and your family!

Krissi McVicker said...

OMG! That is so sweet! What a great way to tell her! I love that! And I would love to share your success story on my blog! I have a Q & A format I like to use: http://stressfreeinfertilityblog.com/2010/01/17/calling-all-success-stories/ Thanks so much in advance! Congratulations!

Angie said...

awwwww so sweet!!!!!