BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 15, 2011

A lot to Learn

I called Dr. Mat's office yesterday and was thrilled when I got the return message. My AFP tests came back negative-woohoo! Here is a link I found about AFP testing that I found very helpful.

DH and I both happened to have yesterday off which is odd because we didn't even plan it! We headed to Target and what a trip that was. My thoughts/experience at Target:

1. My pants are pushing their limits. I'm trying to hold out until I go to FL in three weeks so I can shop with my mom but I'm not sure I'm going to make it. While at Target, DH and I looked at maternity pants and maybe it was just the selection because I was like no way do I need THAT much "band" right now! I know I could get a Bella band but I just decided to make do fitting into my pants that I have now.

2. We stopped to look at the baby section. First off, DH was intrigued by the breast pump-he's a nerd! I told him, I've got to start researching all the different brands so I know what to register for when it gets to be time. His response, "Research? Just buy a bottle!" Then we moved on to the car seat selection, cribs, changing tables, etc...let's just say it should be interesting when we come to that part of the process and FYI ladies, I will be doing a post (but not yet!) asking for your input on brands, items, etc...that worked, didn't work...all that fun stuff so start thinking!

3. We then headed to the baby clothes department because I'm going to a baby shower (they specifically asked for clothes). Now most of the time at showers, I'm a diapers and stick to the registry type of person, I never buy clothes. I kept holding them up and looking at DH saying, they're so tiny! I was also looking at what type of clothing and what size they were. DH said, "Stop looking at the 3 month thing...sizing for kids is so weird. Like this (holds up an outfit), what's 3T mean?" Oh dear...he has so much to learn! I tried explaining to him that I didn't want to buy this baby a sweater if he was going to be 6 months during the summer time!

Also, while we were at lunch, we started discussing girl names...we have no idea where to start on that one! He kept saying Bethsheba (hopfully joking!) and then would look around the room and name objects, "How about Carousel? What about Santa?" He also kept wanting Ann. He did mention a name that we both liked then realized that we think that's his cousin's name!

The whole point of going to Target was to get some ideas of something I wanted for Christmas so he could tell his dad what to get me. DH was like, let's tell him you want a rocking chair but I was like I don't want a rocking chair. Finally I said, just tell your dad I want a breast pump. Should be interesting what I unwrap from my FIL on Christmas morning!

11 comments:

SLES75 said...

I will laugh my ass off if your FIL gets you a breast pump....that's hilarious...

Target is a fun place to go and it's a place where we learn the husbands of the world aren't as educated in the parenting department as most of us women are...definitely entertaining....

I suggest wearing elastic pants...yoga or something along those lines...I wore that for most of the summer and even into the fall. They're stretchy but also they snap back post delivery...and you don't have to spend any money to be comfortable.

SLES75 said...

I will laugh my ass off if your FIL gets you a breast pump....that's hilarious...

Target is a fun place to go and it's a place where we learn the husbands of the world aren't as educated in the parenting department as most of us women are...definitely entertaining....

I suggest wearing elastic pants...yoga or something along those lines...I wore that for most of the summer and even into the fall. They're stretchy but also they snap back post delivery...and you don't have to spend any money to be comfortable.

Emily @ablanket2keep said...

LOL that would be awesome if he got you a breast pump! I have a whole list of the best brands since it has been trial and error for 5 babies in my family. I personally don't have a baby yet, but I used the products with the cousins. Obviously not the breast pump, but did research for a cousin and she loves hers so I will be getting it too.

Angie said...

LOL I will die if he gets you a breast pump! Too funny! Sounds like your trip to Target was ummm, interesting LOL good thing he's pretty!

Angie said...

LOL I will die if he gets you a breast pump! Too funny! Sounds like your trip to Target was ummm, interesting LOL good thing he's pretty!

Angie said...

Did you know you can rent a breast pummp for about $60 a month? That's what I did and I'm so glad I didn't buy one because I wasn't able to breast feed. I pumped for 11 weeks but then it dried up. Totally not trying to be negative, but a lot of ladies on my board have expresses happiness that they didn't fork out over $300 for a pump and then not be able to use it. I think the Medela Symphony is awesome, that's the one I had. Also baby sizing is totally weird. Nick was a big baby, he never fit into anything that was newborn size, and was wearing 18 month clothing at 7 months. It's just hit or miss sometimes, and some brands run so small, like Gerber. It's so nice that everything is so confusing for us huh! Have you gotten the book baby bargains? Everyone I know was completely overwhelmed when it was time to register cause there are about 10,000 choices of car seats, high chairs, etc, and this book really helps narrow the field. You can have my copy if I ever see you again lol.

Unknown said...

There's so much to learn & so much you learn ALONG the way! We read tons of reviews & asked tons of questions of others that had already gone through it. I had to rent my breast pump but I also needed one that was fast & had lots of suction considering I was feeding 3...It was $60/month. You might even find a friend that wants to lend you one (you can sterilize everything so no harm). When the time comes & you're ready I'll definitely give my 2 cents as far as what worked for us, but in the end you will definitely find your rhythm & find what works for you :) There are some essential items to have ready & things you can get along the way.

I would totally agree with the stretchy pants but also the Bella band was totally worth it (I remembered Friends & started saying I can make my own Thanksgiving pants!!). It was much more comfortable once I finally gave in & bought it. It's such a limbo when you kinda show but the actual maternity pants don't fit. I also used to buy just bigger tops (stretch fabric is a preggo girls friend) & I got away with wearing a lot of non-maternity shirts :)

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

You two must have been quite a site in the baby department. ;)

I had a wonderful experience breastfeeding and I tell everyone the same suggestion. Rent the hospital pump for a week or two..see what kind of supply youre working with and how baby is doing feeding. Its the strongest and best pump around. I believe my hospital charged $3 a day. After that, I returned the hospital one and used a regular Medela for the rest of the time.

I hope you guys find out what youre having because I want to know!!! :)

Jessica White said...

I'm still wearing yoga pants....they're great!

I can't wait to see what your FIL gets you lol

Heather said...

Sounds like some good shopping! we have also been looking for the right stuff.At toys r us!
um, in retrospect maybe FIL and breastpump could be an awkward combo.. but good luck...
Found you on stress free infertility.. I am 13 weeks.. surviveandthrive.co.za

Hilary said...

Josh is the same way when it comes to clothes sizing. His nephew is 2 and he was like, "I have no idea what size to get him!!!" Well, 2T would be a start... ;-) Boys!