BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 9, 2011

I Did It!

Today I had my first acupunture session! It was...interesting. I went to Dr. Heather and we first just discussed our journey and then did a quick scan of my spine. All looked well so we headed into the acupunture room. She told me to lay down so I did and I was a bit surprised that the top half was like a water bed with warm water-very nice and relaxing. Then I had to roll my pants up to my knees.

Dr. Heather said, "You know sometimes you see people with acupunture and needles everywhere? Well, I believe in the less is more so I'll use about 10-12." Whew! However, the first one she put in-HURT! In her defense, it was a knee that I've had surgery on and the majority of the side is numb because all the others felt fine. She put one on my ankle, my outer knee, between my thumb and forefinger, my wrist and my forearm then I laid there for 15 minutes to relax.

I have to admit, I'm not the best patient or the best at relaxing. I tried my best repeating to myself, "Think nothing, think nothing" and it worked for awhile then my mind would drift off to dinner or what errands I needed to run. I felt a little bit more relaxed and I felt the tension behind my knees go away.

Our plan for now is once a month then one a week the cycle before and of the FET. OH! My insurance doesn't cover it but it's only $25/visit which is only $5 more than my normal co-pay so I thought that was pretty good. Hopefully with practice, I'll be a better patient!

7 comments:

Bridget said...

I don't know if you listen to circle + bloom but I always took mine with me on my ipod and it helped relax me (I'm just like you- can't relax at all!)

Jessica White said...

I love accupuncture...unfortunately where we live its $60 a session and insurance doesn't cover it.

I second listening to something to help you relax. I'm glad your knee feels a bit better.

http://nothingshallbeimpossible2005.blogspot.com/

Nink said...

Good!!!! I'm glad you finally did it. :) I think over time you will be able to relax better with the treatment. I've heard wonders about Circle+Bloom (like Bridget said). I never did it myself, but hey...worth a shot! :)

SLES75 said...

I'm so happy you did it!! I can't believe how cheap it is for you! That's awesome!

My acupuncturist plays the plinky plunky music to relax you. I have found, tho I'm not super religious, I pray during my treatments. It keeps me focused and eventually I fall asleep. My sessions are a bit longer. They're all at least an hour.

I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to see how your body responds!

Cherbear said...

wow the table sounds awesome...wish mine had that!

That's awesome that you pay $25. I pay $85 a session (But each one is at least an hour long)

Those needles right in between the thumb and forefinger were the worst!

Jos said...

Phew, mine are $75-100/session. That $25 is pretty awesome!

I love the music my acupuncturist plays, but the Circle+Bloom can be super helpful too...

Megan said...

Yay! So glad your acupuncture was a success. I'm surprised by how cheap it was. I paid $65 each time and the lady wanted me to come back 3 times a week! I decided that was way too expensive and stopped going. How come Dr. Heather only wants you to come in a few times? I had needles put in about the same spots as well as about 4 or 5 in the belly, as if I already wasn't sticking myself with needles twice a day!